Lactation Boosting Bars
There is no doubt that your milk supply is based on supply and demand. The more your baby nurses, the more milk your body will produce. But there are also milk boosting foods (we call them galactagogues in the breastfeeding world) that you can add to your diet to help keep that milk flowing.
One of our favorite client-tested, client-approved lactation bar recipes from exclusivepumping.com includes 3 galactagogues: oatmeal, flaxseed and brewers yeast and taste delicious too! Be sure to make extra and freeze individually for a convenient, milk-making snack.
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup brewer’s yeast
- 1/3 cup flaxseed
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 cup peanut butter room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13 x 9 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, brewers yeast, and flaxseed together in a large bowl.
- Beat butter, brown sugar, and peanut butter until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla extract.
- Fold in flour mixture. Once combined, stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Put the dough into the pan and press it lightly into place with your hands. Add the remaining chocolate chips to the top.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes (or until the edges are slightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean). Do not overbake.
- Chill and enjoy.